Current Volunteer Positions:
Volunteer Content Marketing Specialist
Approximately 5 hours per week
Are you a creative and imaginative thinker that’s naturally curious, with excellent writing skills? Are you excited by the challenge to write copy that can inspire thought, debate and action, sometimes in 20 words or less?
Do you spend your day surfing through Instagram, and enjoy posting and interacting with people on social media? Are you excited by the opportunity to connect with the TEDxOttawa audience in an engaging and authentic way?
TEDxOttawa is a growing non-profit organization that holds various events organized by volunteers from the local community, and just like TED events, it lacks any commercial, religious or political agenda. Its goal is to spark conversation, connection and community.
The Content Marketing Specialists will work with the TEDxOttawa team to increase awareness, community calls to action, through the marketing of content online. This qualified person is responsible for creating and monitoring “shareable” content, distributing content on the appropriate platforms and measuring the results of marketing activity.
- Develops engaging, relevant real-time content for implementation in print, marketing programs, campaigns, community engagement and across digital channels, including websites, search engines, email marketing, online communication, social media and digital sales tools.
- Leads the writing, fact-checking, editing and proofing of content for marketing and external communications that reflect the appropriate tone and voice of TEDxOttawa.
- Builds on and manages the TEDxOttawa social media voice. Post, monitor and engage on social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkedin and YouTube).
- Leverages listening tools to proactively build and engage new audiences, mitigate and respond to organizational reputational risks, deliver competitive insights and recommend ways to enhance and grow our online social presence and networks.
- Collaborates on development and executes an editorial calendar and content program for email, social media and the front-end website for TEDxOttawa
- Identifies areas to improve and optimize content for search engines, sales leads generation and to grow email subscriber base based on analytics results.
- A social media influencer
- Identify and develop social media strategies, connect with key social influencers and bloggers and help us build content across multiple online channels
- Continuously improve social media strategies by capturing and analyzing metrics
- Brainstorming and conceptualizing unique ideas that compliment TEDxOttawa strategies and proactively seeks opportunities to improve and strength the TEDxOttawa communication through digital storytelling, contests and guerrilla marketing tactics.
- Work with the webmaster to ensure seamless transitions to and from all platforms
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- 2+ years of experience managing successful social media campaigns and solid understanding of social marketing.
- Proven skills in online, email marketing, and social media content development and program execution, including writing to maximize search engine results and online community engagement. Experience with online content creation/blogging, email marketing on various platforms, creating digital and print marketing materials.
- Experience preparing and editing content for online, publications, documents, social media, reports and communication materials for various audiences.
- Competency in the use of online content scheduling, listening and audience engagement tools for email marketing and social media.
- Exceptional English writing skills with attention to detail and accuracy in content creation.
- A passionate communicator and story-teller capable of shifting voice to meet the needs of multiple audiences.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to plan, schedule and prioritize work in a dynamic environment.
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- The ability to remain flexible while managing a challenging and dynamic workload.
- Driven to achieve results within a competitive and dynamic environment.
TED x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)